Tuesday 18 February 2014

Song of the Day - The First One

I've decided to start a blog about music - as I'm sure you're able to tell. I'm going to do a series of posts about one song at a time; my personal song of the day.

Today's song is by a band called The Courteeners, an English indie rock band who released their third studio album St. Jude last year. They are not a completely hidden band and many people may have heard of them and even be big fans of them. Morrissey, the infamous lead man of The Smiths, has confessed his admiration for the band on more than one occasion - either high praise or a reason to hate, depending on your opinion of the divisive singer-songwriter.

Nevertheless, here is The Courteeners' song Scratch Your Name Upon My Lips.

 

So What's So Good?

Songs about love and/or sex are so commonplace that it's not usually worth mentioning, but the almost abusive, submissive undertones to the lyrics, not least those in the song title, give this an unnerving but interesting feel. However, dig a little deeper and it's clear that the song is about a long distance relationship, one which the singer is struggling to cope with emotionally. It serves as a desperate attempt to connect with this person who is elsewhere.

Lead Singer Liam Fray's deep vocals add to the mysterious and brooding atmosphere that the opening guitar riff sets. Then the song properly kicks in, with a drum beat you want to tap your toes to and an infectious tune. 

It's after the first chorus that the title line comes in, in a breathy and emotional middle eight, where Fray reveals his desires to his absent lover. Whilst it isn't massively poetic, it's punchy enough and you understand the feeling behind it.

Scratch Your Name Upon My Lips is a song that I really love and is a worthy choice for my first attempt at Song of the Day. I hope some of you like the song and I hope you come back to see what my next choice is!

No comments:

Post a Comment