Wednesday 2 April 2014

Song of the Day - I Predict a Riot

Today's song of he day comes from Australian indie-pop band The Jungle Giants. The Jungle Giants are a band I discovered last year and are much happier than most bands I listen to! They have toured alongside bands like Two Door Cinema Club before the release of their album, Learn To Exist, which got them their own backing. They are a band with a lot of commercial appeal but I'm sure indie-pop lovers will love them too.

This is She's a Riot: 


So What's So Good?

A lot of happy songs I find a little boring because they don't have much to say other than a happy riff and an inspirational message or happy anecdote. Behind the infectiously happy guitar riffs in She's a Riot there's actually some subtlety.

It's hard to describe the lyrics to someone who doesn't get them, so I won't try, but if you've been in the situation you'll know. I found it difficult to relisten to this song as it has some really weird memories and feelings that I'd forgot about, but it's a great song with surprising lyrical subtlety.

Vocalist Sam Hales has a really fun voice that isn't anything completely out the box but it's fresh and clean. It fits the genre perfectly - think of an Australian Two Door Cinema Club. It's generally just a fun and happy song but to me it means a lot more.

The Jungle Giants are a fun band with a really fresh sound that may not be the most innovative or the best musically, but She's a Riot is certainly a fun song to listen to, especially in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment