Tuesday 8 April 2014

Song of the Day - A Milestone

Today's song of the day is the 50th (!) that I have written. As my first proper milestone, I decided to write about my favourite song.

It's by Placebo (who else?), who are an English-based alternative rock band who started making music in the '90's. 7 studio albums later and Placebo are still going strong, evolving with each album but still retaining the sound that made them so big.

This is Post Blue, from their fifth album Meds:


So What's So Good?

A rippling bass line with an ominous guitar riff set the atmosphere for Molko's distinctive eerie and haunting voice. Molko's voice isn't to everyone's taste (I seem to say that a lot. Hmm.) but I absolutely adore it. He has an androgynous image and a nasally, whiny voice which transcends your ears and goes straight for the soul.

 A vibrating drumbeat drives the song along and pulses through the verses, which ominously repeat the words 'It's in the water, baby' like a ghostly ritual. I think it's a reference to pregnancy, hence 'Post Blue' (i.e after a positive pregnancy test). However, there a number of drug references ('golden brown') which give the song a possible darker theme; one that is typical of Placebo, so much that it's almost a cliche.

Anybody who likes dark music, anything that is haunting or creepy should check out Placebo. This song is, for me, perfect, with a superb riff and gloriously unusual vocals. This is my favourite song and a worthy choice for my 50th song of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment