Sunday 23 March 2014

Song of the Day - All Killer No Filler

Today's song of the day comes from Mutineers, who are the first band to have the honour of having a second song reviewed on my blog. They released a new single on Monday so I felt obliged to tell you about it, because I love their music. I'm buzzing to see them live next month as well and hope I can introduce some more people to their music.

This is their new single, Love, it's a Killer: 

Not yet on Youtube! Click here to listen.

So What's So Good?

Anyone who has listened to Mutineers before (and if you haven't, you should have been) will recognise the distinctive tones of Nicholas Mallins' voice. If you haven't heard them before, you're about to hear one of the most distinctive and 'marmite' voices you will hear for a while.

Love, it's a Killer is an upbeat indie-rock song with a funky riff and crashing drums which make the song a joy to listen to. Mallins' vocals for me are the icing on the cake; they're not unlike Morrissey's, which for me is a positive though I know his voice is not to everyone's taste.

Lyrically, the song has a simple theme and runs with it. It's a jaunty take on a subject which may not always be so upbeat. However, Mallins' songwriting skills do show through with some clever lyrics here and there.

Love, it's a Killer is another superb song from a very talented indie band. Mutineers are currently embarking on a UK tour and will hopefully be well worth seeing. Check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment