Saturday 22 March 2014

Song of the Day - Breaking My Own Rules

Today's song of the day comes from a little known Sheffield band called Arctic Monkeys.

Yes, I realise that they are mainstream music. And yes, I realise this goes against my 'rules' and my tagline. But it's my blog, so shut up.

I don't need to tell you about Arctic Monkeys, I'm sure, but I'll tell you that I'd always liked them but never loved them. I have always thought they were a little overhyped, and to some extent I still do.

But, since I heard their newest album, I've been hooked.

Do you wanna know what the song of the day is?


So What's So Good?

Arctic Monkeys are quite a divisive band. I know plenty of people who love them, and some who hate them. I've always been fairly in the middle, but this song has had me hooked. Quite why I'm not 100% sure, but I'll try and have a guess.

That drumbeat opening followed by the distinctive guitar sound is so recognisable and instantly catchy. Love it or hate it, you know that that is Arctic Monkeys.

The thing which really makes it stand out and not make it just mellow rock is the way in which it's written. The lyrics flow perfectly together, intertwining and creating rhyming patterns that just shouldn't work but they do. 

They're relateable too. Anyone who has ever had a crush on someone, but not known if they should go for it, will know exactly what Alex Turner is talking about, and that's practically everyone who knows me, let's be honest here. But seriously, they're clever, flow perfectly with the tune of the song and anybody can relate to them.

Do I Wanna Know? is a song which some will hate, many will feel indifferent about but some of you will love it. Maybe you'll be as addicted as I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment